[clue-talk] iPod Videos for free: is Linux involved?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 21:02:12 MST 2005

On 12-02 20:10, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Hey all (and Sean I hate to do this to ya ;-) ),
>
> Has anyone seen if Linux is involved  with this:
>
> http://veoh.com/

Heh. Well, I don't have a video Ipod, so no worries...although I do have a
PSP and I wonder if movies can be converted and transferred easily to it.
Hmm.  Well, from their page:

 Veoh provides a secure delivery system that prevents piracy and provides
 publishers unprecedented control over their content.

Probably not.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if it's Linux on the client, but who knows. I've
been watching this for a little bit (saw it on Boing Boing a few weeks ago)
and if I remember correctly the OSX client came out first, and then Windows
later, but still no Linux client. At first it seemed promising, and maybe
some of the content will focus on Linux, but I bet that something more akin
to podcatchers takes off for most video content.

On the biz scene, though, this could be the next Skype.
Is it a coincidence that Skype rhymes with "hype"?  ;)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Greasemonkey Amazon scripts for Colorado libraries:
http://userscripts.org/people/2388
That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by
doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what
you know is wrong.
-William J. H. Boetcker