[clue-talk] Acronym of the day: CADT

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:29:59 MST 2005

On 12/13/05, David Rudder <david.rudder at reliableresponse.net> wrote:
> I've always thought JWZ to be a bit over the top.  CADT, for example.
> He paints all of FOSS with the same brush. But, there are plenty of
> counter examples.  Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL, Nagios.  Even ones where
> there are long-outstanding bugs, like GNU C++, the number and severity
> are less than their commercial counterparts.  Heck, compare Gnome (the
> project he was ranting about in this article).  I'd argue it's bug-fix
> rate is higher than either Windows or Mac, and has as few rewrites from
> scratch.
>
> Funny that he's been the curmudgeon of FOSS since the mid 1990's, yet he
> obviously uses Gnome.  And has for years.

I'm not sure that that's so much an insult on FOSS projects as much as
developers in general.  I know when I read it I thought "heh" and
rememberd the 10 times I've seen that (and the once or twice I've done
it).  And, they were mostly times when the manager/director/project
sponsor wasn't paying attention and the hackers got away with doing a
"rewrite" without dealing immediately with the boring bugs.

He does mention Open Source projects, but I bet that he would agree it
happens to proprietary closed source commercial software as well - at
least in as much as he's dealt with proprietary closed source software
and the bug tracking systems.

Greg