[clue-talk] moving Mozilla email

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Feb 2 12:28:47 MST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:20:33 -0500
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Also, look at the command formail to reformat mboxes

I was actually going to post a question on that, before I came up with a
different solution, since I did just actually go through a box-to-box mail
migration last week, with piles of e-mail scattered all over a Windoze
machine, to another Windoze machine, that alread had new mail on it.

At one point, I was considering using formail to split the Mbox files and
re-mail the messages.

Except that formail won't split Moz Mbox files. Or at least I couldn't get
it to do it. Or maybe it was, but my incantation for directing the output
to seperate files, using the FILENO environment variable, wasn't doing
what I thought it should. But as a test, I wrote a shell script that just
echoed FILENO, and invoked formail:

  $ cat mailboxfile | formail -ds myscript

and got one line of output, on a mailbox file that had over a hundered
messages in it. My reading of the formail manpage says myscript should
have been invoked once for each message.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E