[clue-talk] moving Mozilla email

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Feb 2 12:55:20 MST 2005

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:20:33 -0500
>Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>>Also, look at the command formail to reformat mboxes
>>

>I was actually going to post a question on that, before I came up with a
>different solution, since I did just actually go through a box-to-box mail
>migration last week, with piles of e-mail scattered all over a Windoze
>machine, to another Windoze machine, that alread had new mail on it.
>
>At one point, I was considering using formail to split the Mbox files and
>re-mail the messages.
>
>Except that formail won't split Moz Mbox files. Or at least I couldn't get
>it to do it. Or maybe it was, but my incantation for directing the output
>to seperate files, using the FILENO environment variable, wasn't doing
>what I thought it should. But as a test, I wrote a shell script that just
>echoed FILENO, and invoked formail:
>
>  $ cat mailboxfile | formail -ds myscript
>
>and got one line of output, on a mailbox file that had over a hundered
>messages in it. My reading of the formail manpage says myscript should
>have been invoked once for each message.

First you might want to do this:

formail -ds <mailboxfile >> newmailboxfile

Because Mozilla's mbox format may be slightly different.  Whenever I
save an email message from mozilla, it doesn't seem to be compatible
with mutt.

Maybe your line above should be
formail -ds <newmailboxfile | myscript ??

Angelo