[clue-talk] Computer Security

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Feb 4 22:37:02 MST 2005

For a windows machine which isn't protected by at least a proxy to the
internet, you should download a firewall (like ZoneAlarm) BEFORE
installing windows, and install it before you ever connect to the
Internet.  Otherwise, you'll  get hit with viruses before you can get
the security patches.  The updates for windows seem to be pretty safe
now, but you do hear an occasional story of it breaking something.  The
automatic updates should be safe though because they're only security
patches, and not software updates.

Angelo