[clue-talk] The War On...?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 3 17:08:42 MST 2005

Don Collier wrote:
> In my opinion, every American has a duty to obey the law now matter how
> unjust that we feel it is.  There are ways to make your voice heard
> other than breaking the law.  We cant pick and choose which laws that we
> wish to obey.

I would assume you're from a majority ethnic background then.

I can think of a number of situations where friends who are minority
ethnicities, or their parents/grandparents had to break laws to point
out that they were being treated inappropriately.

To take the example to the extreme, if a law were passed tomorrow by
"the majority" that says everyone with the surname of Collier was to be
thrown in prison immediately, would you "obey" and:

a) change your name
b) voluntarily go to jail

Would you feel a Duty to do so?  Of course not.

Let's also not forget laws that are on the books that are unenforced.
You yourself quite likely have broken a few of those.

Every once in a while someone bothers to make a list, but I don't have a
current Colorado one right now.

Duty to obey laws MUST be tempered with reasonable and sound judgment.

Reasonable and sound judgment comes from an educated Citizenry.
Lawmakers have no monopoly on it.

Every vote for things that hurt public schools is a vote to remove sound
judgment from the equation -- which leaves only the sentiment you speak
of: OBEY.

School vouchers are a form of elitism that supports this idea: "The poor
and uneducated will ultimately OBEY my kids fiscally, because my kid's
education is more important than a strong public school system and my
special interest organizations (usually religious) have enough money to
buy my government representative's votes."

Nate