[clue-talk] The War On...?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Jan 3 17:31:16 MST 2005

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:02:39 -0700
Nate Duehr wrote:

> Every vote for things that hurt public schools is a vote to remove sound
> judgment from the equation -- which leaves only the sentiment you speak
> of: OBEY.
>
> School vouchers are a form of elitism that supports this idea: "The poor
> and uneducated will ultimately OBEY my kids fiscally, because my kid's
> education is more important than a strong public school system and my
> special interest organizations (usually religious) have enough money to
> buy my government representative's votes."

<speeeeeeewwwwwwwww>

Only my iron self-control saved me from drenching my keyboard.

Since when has the public education system been famous for turning out
students who understand the basis of rights? Or is it now "free speech as
long as we like what you're saying"?

http://hq.protestwarrior.com/?page=/featured/PHS/PHS.php

Question: Which is more likely? A) Students will graduate knowing about
Noam Chomsky, or B) Students will graduate knowing about John Locke?

If the public school system is so great, then why does it get criticisms
such as: http://professorplum.typepad.com/my_weblog/ ?

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to track down all the stuff
I've read over the past few years regarding the "quality" of education
students in the public school systems get.

Look at what's happening in today's schools. Metal detectors, drug
testing, ID cards, zero-tolerance for even prescription drugs, or OTC
meds, GI-Joe size toy guns, etc. What the public school system looks like
to me is an institution designed to inculcate in kids, while they're still
young and impressionable, an attitude of conformance to the will of the
state, and no regard for their own privacy or rights.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E