[clue-talk] The War On...?

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. jnagyjr at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Mon Jan 3 17:40:11 MST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 05:25:32PM -0700, Jed S. Baer wrote the following:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:02:39 -0700
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>
> > Every vote for things that hurt public schools is a vote to remove sound
> > judgment from the equation -- which leaves only the sentiment you speak
> > of: OBEY.
> >
> > School vouchers are a form of elitism that supports this idea: "The poor
> > and uneducated will ultimately OBEY my kids fiscally, because my kid's
> > education is more important than a strong public school system and my
> > special interest organizations (usually religious) have enough money to
> > buy my government representative's votes."
>
> <speeeeeeewwwwwwwww>
>
> Only my iron self-control saved me from drenching my keyboard.
>
> Since when has the public education system been famous for turning out
> students who understand the basis of rights? Or is it now "free speech as
> long as we like what you're saying"?
>
> http://hq.protestwarrior.com/?page=/featured/PHS/PHS.php
>
> Question: Which is more likely? A) Students will graduate knowing about
> Noam Chomsky, or B) Students will graduate knowing about John Locke?
>
> If the public school system is so great, then why does it get criticisms
> such as: http://professorplum.typepad.com/my_weblog/ ?
>
> There aren't enough hours in the day for me to track down all the stuff
> I've read over the past few years regarding the "quality" of education
> students in the public school systems get.
>
> Look at what's happening in today's schools. Metal detectors, drug
> testing, ID cards, zero-tolerance for even prescription drugs, or OTC
> meds, GI-Joe size toy guns, etc. What the public school system looks like
> to me is an institution designed to inculcate in kids, while they're still
> young and impressionable, an attitude of conformance to the will of the
> state, and no regard for their own privacy or rights.
>
> jed

They say the proof is in the pudding, well public schooled students
traditionally don't fare as well as home schooled or private schooled
children on standardized testing so much so that public school parents in my
state (and I imagine elsewhere) are fighting to make it harder for private
and home schooled children to graduate despite them already doing better
then their public schooled children, and this is with us tossing untold
millions at the schools from city taxes all the way on up to Fed taxes.

--
AIM: pres CTHULHU | ICQ: 18115568 | Yahoo: pagan_prince Jabber: DarkKnightRadick@(jabber.org|amessage.at)