[clue-talk] The War On...?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 17:02:14 MST 2005

On 12-27 17:49, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> I saw this in the midst of some java blog entries. Being the cynic I am, I
> can't help but think this is another War on Some Drugs in the making (there
> aren't enough "criminals", so the gov't declares a new sort of "criminal",
> and it's never the really big fish that need incarceration, of course).
>
> http://www.savoirtech.com/roller/page/jgenender/20041227#colleg_kid_may_do_time

Link on Slashdot:

http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=7274372

It looks like this thing parallels the Drug War in more ways than one...here
we have the U.S. insisting others enforce things the way certain elites want
them to be enforced.  Sounds familiar...

I had to laugh when I read all the consternation in WSJ (and elsewhere)
about the boardroom no longer being above the fray -
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=worldcom+boardroom&btnG=Google+Search
if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Someone in this thread mentioned getting perspective, and I would agree.
It's time some perspective is placed on who gets jail time vs. who does not.
Folks cause literally billions of dollars to be lost, most likely knowing
full well what they are doing (and if they don't, they should not be
employed to do what they are doing), and flaunting agencies such as the SEC
in the process, and few do serious jail time. Subordinates are blamed or
claims of "just doing their jobs" are made. People rip off some software
and all hell breaks loose.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Books say, "She did this because." Life says, "She did this." Books are where
things are explained to you; life is where things aren't. I'm not surprised
that some people prefer books. Books make sense. The only problem is that the
lives they make sense of are other people's lives, never your own.
-Julian Barnes