[clue-talk] Mac OS X instead of Linux?

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 20:18:16 MDT 2005

I have had a 12" powerbook for a year and a half - and it has been
perhaps the best laptop I have ever owned.

Yes, the multimedia 'just works', and a lot of open source tools are
available as binaries or can easily be built.  Still run a linux
desktop for raw horsepower, but the mac makes a great primary/portable
desktop.

aloha,
dave

On 7/24/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/05, mikeb <mikeb at wispertel.net> wrote:
> > Solaris 10 or Linux... Yes, BSD does not count...
>
> You know OSX is just FreeBSD with some improvements and the slick Mac
> GUI, right?
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/
>
> They seem to be stretching the truth in their favor when they say: "OS
> X is winning out over Linux in some cases as well, said Wilcox because
> these businesses would already have UNIX expertise on staff; OS X has
> a good stable of server applications and it can run traditional UNIX
> apps;"
>
> I though FreeBSD was similar to but different from "UNIX" (namely
> Solaris, HPUX) in basically the same wasy that Linux is similar to but
> different from UNIX. So it seems an unfair statement that FreeBSD just
> drops into a UNIX environment while Linux requires training before it
> can be dropped in.
>
> Is my understanding wrong?
>
> Other than that, my next personal computer (I currently have a windows
> and a linux desktop) will probably be a Mac.  I don't have the
> patience to futz with multimedia on my Linux desktop so that's why I
> keep the Windows one around.  As I need more multimedia
> capabilities...I realize Mac is the place where it works and it's easy
> and hey - there's a shell!  Now...I only have to save up my nickels
> for a little bit longer to get that Mac hardware.
>
> Greg

aloha,
dave