[clue-talk] restructuring a CVS repository

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Jun 1 18:42:04 MDT 2005

On 05-31 12:33, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> > Can anyone give me any advice on restructuring a CVS repository.  For
> > example, in one case I want to move a directory branch up one level.  In
> > another case I want to wipe out a repository and write over it.  I heard
> > that this kind of stuff gets weird in CVS, so I was wondering if anyone
> > has any comments....
> >

> I believe that you achieve a "move" in CVS as a delete and an add.
>
> If you are thinking of restructuring a lot of stuff in CVS, you may
> want to restructure yourself on over to subversion which manages moves
> as such and keeps directory structures under CM rather than just files
> in a directory.

Interesting Subversion should come up. Recently, our group made the move
from VSS to CVS. I advocated for Subversion, but people with influence
mumbled something like "not very many tools yet to support Subversion" - of
course, when I pressed them for what exactly they were looking for, I got no
answers. So manglement defaulted to CVS, and now I'm plagued (already) with
not being able to move files/directories and keep the history...a real PITA
in Java if you ever want to do any sort of refactoring.

So I'd like to ask - what has your experience with Subversion been like? As
far as I can see all the tool support I need is there as a developer -
Eclipse integrates fine with it, Tortoise works in Windows Explorer, and I
didn't even look very hard. I set the server up on my box (actually twice -
once at this job, once at old job), and it didn't seem very difficult, but
I'm doing CM type stuff day to day, I'd be using it as a developer.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may
have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg.