[clue-talk] restructuring a CVS repository

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Jun 1 20:14:52 MDT 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:

>On 5/31/05, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone give me any advice on restructuring a CVS repository.  For
>>example, in one case I want to move a directory branch up one level.  In
>>another case I want to wipe out a repository and write over it.  I heard
>>that this kind of stuff gets weird in CVS, so I was wondering if anyone
>>has any comments....
>>

>I believe that you achieve a "move" in CVS as a delete and an add.
>
>If you are thinking of restructuring a lot of stuff in CVS, you may
>want to restructure yourself on over to subversion which manages moves
>as such and keeps directory structures under CM rather than just files
>in a directory.

I gave the CVS vs Subversion a lot of serious thought and research for
my own projects.  Unfortunately I'm not the administrator for the
project I'm working with CVS on, so I can't switch it anyway.  But I'm
not sure if I would:  CVS is more established and has more reliable
tools.  Besides this, I'm not sure I agree with the Subversion
philosophy of keeping every "revision" in a separate tree.  I think they
both have their advantages and disadvantages.

So I'm thinking about trying out Subversion with a few personal things
to give myself a chance to experience it.  But one nice advantage that
CVS has is there is a CVS2Subversion converter for repositories.  This
makes CVS "safer" because if I end up liking Subversion, I can always
convert over.

Angelo