[clue-talk] Why Linux is being killed by Linux "experts"....

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Fri Jun 17 20:29:52 MDT 2005

Take a read at this:

http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/15/070209&tid=117&tid=107

Now, here's my take on it, and this is for the Linux trolls that are
anti-business and making money for a living, not those that at least
help out in evangelizing Linux in a positive way. See here for what I mean:

http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=12

I sell Linux!! I also try and break the barrier down as to what Linux
can do for others in a thoughtful and educated manner, but most of the
time I read on the Internet (like above) how some snotty nosed Linux
user berates retailers at their ignorance of Linux and how "they lost my
business" because they don't sell Linux and all of the trimmings. Just
as this article shows, Linux is gaining ground, in baby steps, but I
also see that Linux users sabotage the efforts of those that are on the
front line of getting retailers and company leaders to try it out. How?
They say "you can get it for free if you download it" or "don't trust XX
  retailer, their crooks." I'm known as "Captain Linux" where I work ;-)
because I support it's use in those situations that warrant it, not
where it'll kill or ruin the Linux experience to those trying it out.

How can you as Linux users help out? By taking new Linux users to the
local computer store and visit with the salespersons and ask them about
Linux. If you find a good Linux salesperson, then buy a copy of one of
the Linux distros from the local store and keep the salesperson's name
for future use and tell the manager of the store that you'll frequent
the store more often BECAUSE of the support they have with Linux. If
they don't have any in stock, then ask to special order a copy. Persist
in getting what you want for this new user. Why? Because it will show
sales of Linux that may not have been there before, it will show
interest to the store pesonnel and management that it does sell, that
the more frequently customers ask for Linux the more there will be an
interest in getting the customer "what they want," and finally, it shows
management that there is "money to be made" with Linux.

Some of you are experts for sure, much more than I am when it comes to
Linux, but the purpose of most retail computer stores is NOT about
catering to you, the experts, but to the novice or inexperienced users
who need some hand holding when considering computers, especially Linux.
Sure, you can buy your stuff from Newegg.com (I buy there myself) or
other internet site, but if you don't at least provide a little bit of
support to your local store, then it won't grow as much as you'd like.

Bottom line, you can ALWAYS get things cheaper elsewhere, but spend SOME
of your money in your local store so that you can spark an increase in
interest. BTW, I sell SUSE and Linspire.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of being on both ends of a girly
fight, one end the customers that only want to buy MS stuff and won't
even look at an alternative, and the other the Linux troll that won't
give me the time of day because I have a job trying to encourage Linux
in the SMB market. For those trolls out there, get a life and grow up.
For the others that are helpful, thanks.

Kevin