[clue-talk] Why Linux is being killed by Linux "experts"....

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:39:49 MDT 2005

On 6/17/05, Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:

[ snips ]

> http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/15/070209&tid=117&tid=107
>
> Now, here's my take on it, and this is for the Linux trolls that are
> anti-business and making money for a living, not those that at least
> help out in evangelizing Linux in a positive way. See here for what I mean:
>
> http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=12
>
> I sell Linux!! I also try and break the barrier down as to what Linux
> can do for others in a thoughtful and educated manner, but most of the
> time I read on the Internet (like above) how some snotty nosed Linux
> user berates retailers at their ignorance of Linux and how "they lost my
> business" because they don't sell Linux and all of the trimmings.
>
> How can you as Linux users help out? By taking new Linux users to the
> local computer store and visit with the salespersons and ask them about
> Linux.

I take a somewhat different view, and my troll sensor did not alarm
when I read these articles. My net take on the two articles is this:
suspicions confirmed. BestBuy and CompUSA are fine examples of stores
that for the most part target sales of pre-packaged crap (good and bad
crap, but always pre-packaged). MicroCenter, OTOH, is more of a geek
haven, so that's where I would expect to find the friendly, helpful
salesman who can spell Linux. Where else can you always find the
latest US and UK Linux, MAC, and Linux publications?

I'm not convinced that taking new Linux users to the local CompUSA or
BestBuy stores will accomplish much. You can't teach a pig to dance
when the pig's owner has another vision for the pig.

What might work is to develop a relationship with the smaller stores
and steer your customers in that direction for at least some of their
purchases. Unfortunately, it's going to be a hard sell, because the
smaller stores can't afford to stock everything you need. If you have
the time, strike up a relationship where you can volunteer to help
customers who want Linux.

An example, I bought my wife's WinXP system (Celeron, uggh, reliable
but slow) from the local dealer, but he was way out of line on prices
for a suitable system for Linux.

Just my $.02.

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but