[clue-talk] RSS/Atom readers?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 18 22:29:13 MST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:52:15 -0700
Joe \ wrote:

> So far, I've tried aKregator, AmphetaDesk (Web-based, but works on
> Linux, so it counts), Firefox and Snownews... so far, I haven't found
> one that really fits, but I'm still looking. Suggestions?

Regrettably no. I'm still using AmphetaDesk, and it's definitely getting
long in the tooth. The thing I really like about AmphetaDesk is that it
presents its results as a web page, loadable right into my browser. But it
chokes on Fark's RSS feed, and doesn't read Atom.

Just out of curiosity, I did a search at SourceForge for "RSS", and got
quite a few results, not all of them aggregators. Some Java, at least on
in Mono/C#, and various libs in various languages. Too many to easily pick
a few that "look promising".

Linux Journal recently reviewed the Python package feedparser (Dec/2004 by
Rueven Lerner) favourably. Might be worth looking for programs that use
it. I just did a quick Google search and came up empty on that count,
though. http://www.feedparser.org/
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-tipufp.html

Happy Hunting.
jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E