[clue-talk] Volunteer(s) Wanted

Joe Daily jdaily at mines.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:30:57 MST 2005

I am experianced in most of those technologies please let me know if you need
any help.

Sincerly,

Joe Daily

Quoting William <bkimball1 at yahoo.com>:

 I have been running a relatively large network from home for the last few
 years (compared to most
 other home networks).  It is essentially a not-for-profit hosting operation
 that I offer for clubs
 and vanity sites (no business, low traffic).  I have seven servers; five of
 which run Linux (Red
 Hat and CentOS).

 It has taken me almost two months to add a service to this network due to my
 inexperience with
 particular Linux softwares (Courier, SquirrelMail) and the technologies
 involved (IMAP, LDAP), and
 a major reduction in my manhour availability.  The people that I'm hosting for
 are getting
 anxious, especially because some of the server hardware was donated by them
 specifically to add
 these services.  I have realized that, between full-time work and full-time
 school, I just don't
 have enough time any more to manage this network properly.

 In the past, someone from CLUE offered to help me out.  At that time, I was
 confidant that I could
 handle this project myself.  I was only working part-time back then.  My
 availability has been
 severely cut, and I'm asking now for help.

 This is not a job offer and I am not soliciting contractors.  I have no money
 to pay, so I'm
 asking for a volunteer (or a couple, depending on what we work out).  Given
 the topography of my
 network, I believe this is a great opportunity for anyone who is used to
 working on individual
 boxes and wants a shot at a larger, predominantly Linux-based, network.  For
 some of us, this is
 fun stuff.  :)

 I need someone who can handle the following projects/tasks:
 * Upgrade all remaining Red Hat boxes to CentOS (a process I started, but
 haven't completed)
 * Install and integrate a web-mail server (I selected SquirrelMail for this,
 but am open to
 alternatives)
 * Implement a hosting management solution (I'm doing everything by hand, and
 would like to see if
 we can fit in a software solution to manage these hosting services).
 * Set up a scheduled backup process for all Linux servers.

 Anyone taking this offer needs to have experience with:
 * Red Hat and/or CentOS (RHEL)
 * MySQL
 * Postfix
 * Apache
 * IPTables
 * Amavis-d
 * ClamAV
 * SpamAssassin+Razor
 * LDAP
 * IMAP

 I am located at roughly Sherridan and 93rd in Westminster, CO (at the golf
 course).  Because some
 of this requires upgrading/reinstalling the OS, you will have access to my
 home, where the network
 resides.  After the OS base is solid, I don't mind giving remote SSH/VPN
 access, but you will have
 to have at least one static IP (I'll not open these services to the
 Internet-at-large).

 We will have to have compatible personalities -- I'll have to trust you to
 enter my home and
 remotely manage my network -- and I have to be confidant in your skill, so I
 want to meet
 applicants in person prior to any work being done.  Please respond directly to
 me via the e-mail
 address on this message so we can find a time and place to meet.  Feel free to
 attach a resume, if
 you are so inclined, but one is not madatory.

 Thank you for your time and interest,

 William Kimball, Jr.
 "Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)