[clue-talk] Volunteer(s) Wanted

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 08:36:52 MST 2005

I have been running a relatively large network from home for the last few years (compared to most
other home networks).  It is essentially a not-for-profit hosting operation that I offer for clubs
and vanity sites (no business, low traffic).  I have seven servers; five of which run Linux (Red
Hat and CentOS).

It has taken me almost two months to add a service to this network due to my inexperience with
particular Linux softwares (Courier, SquirrelMail) and the technologies involved (IMAP, LDAP), and
a major reduction in my manhour availability.  The people that I'm hosting for are getting
anxious, especially because some of the server hardware was donated by them specifically to add
these services.  I have realized that, between full-time work and full-time school, I just don't
have enough time any more to manage this network properly.

In the past, someone from CLUE offered to help me out.  At that time, I was confidant that I could
handle this project myself.  I was only working part-time back then.  My availability has been
severely cut, and I'm asking now for help.

This is not a job offer and I am not soliciting contractors.  I have no money to pay, so I'm
asking for a volunteer (or a couple, depending on what we work out).  Given the topography of my
network, I believe this is a great opportunity for anyone who is used to working on individual
boxes and wants a shot at a larger, predominantly Linux-based, network.  For some of us, this is
fun stuff.  :)

I need someone who can handle the following projects/tasks:
* Upgrade all remaining Red Hat boxes to CentOS (a process I started, but haven't completed)
* Install and integrate a web-mail server (I selected SquirrelMail for this, but am open to
alternatives)
* Implement a hosting management solution (I'm doing everything by hand, and would like to see if
we can fit in a software solution to manage these hosting services).
* Set up a scheduled backup process for all Linux servers.

Anyone taking this offer needs to have experience with:
* Red Hat and/or CentOS (RHEL)
* MySQL
* Postfix
* Apache
* IPTables
* Amavis-d
* ClamAV
* SpamAssassin+Razor
* LDAP
* IMAP

I am located at roughly Sherridan and 93rd in Westminster, CO (at the golf course).  Because some
of this requires upgrading/reinstalling the OS, you will have access to my home, where the network
resides.  After the OS base is solid, I don't mind giving remote SSH/VPN access, but you will have
to have at least one static IP (I'll not open these services to the Internet-at-large).

We will have to have compatible personalities -- I'll have to trust you to enter my home and
remotely manage my network -- and I have to be confidant in your skill, so I want to meet
applicants in person prior to any work being done.  Please respond directly to me via the e-mail
address on this message so we can find a time and place to meet.  Feel free to attach a resume, if
you are so inclined, but one is not madatory.

Thank you for your time and interest,

William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)