[clue-talk] [ANN] Bantam: a lightweight file manager for X11

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun May 1 22:45:46 MDT 2005

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

> It seems to me that the Gentoo FM would be one that meets your needs,

Nope. Checked that one out too. Same-old-same-old. Why 2 panels? When
any decent GUI toolkit (and some indecent ones) enables you to have any
number you need. Maybe I'm just strange, but I often need 3 or more panels.

But thanks for playing!

> btw,
> might want to change the name of the project (Bantam Books might take
> objection).

Ugh. I hope not. I did search for other software projects named Bantam,
and didn't find any. Didn't occur to me to worry about publishers. I
don't see how they could have a legal leg to stand on, since my thing is
clearly not at all like a publishing company. But I also know that if a
big corporation decides to take legal action against a little guy, they
don't have to be able to win in court.

Anyway, it's damn near impossible to find a name that is both attractive
and hasn't been used for something. I suppose I could come up with some
kinda fake African name like "Ubuntu"[*], but, I don't know ... I'm not
African, don't have any significant ties with Africa, so it just
wouldn't seem right.

Thanks for your comments.

[*] Well, I guess that one is a real African word, but I still say its
     usage by a British software company is pretentious.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA