[clue-talk] restructuring a CVS repository

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Tue May 31 21:31:01 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 9:40 am, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Can anyone give me any advice on restructuring a CVS repository.  For
> example, in one case I want to move a directory branch up one level.  In
> another case I want to wipe out a repository and write over it.  I heard
> that this kind of stuff gets weird in CVS, so I was wondering if anyone
> has any comments....

Just move it in the repository.  Make sure that the people who have a sandbox:

1.  commit everything
2.  do a 'cvs release' -- this releases watchers, etc.

3.  move the directory in the cvs repository - e.g., suppose you want to move
module1, which is located :  /cvs/repository/project1/module1

 $ mv /cvs/repository/project1/module1 /cvs/repository/project2

That's it.

Moving a module / project is hard as people like to make it sound.  What's
annoying to some is that you cannot easily rename a file within a project.
You have to do a 'cvs remove oldfile' and 'cvs add newfile'

Jeff
--
"Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends
to create."

http://isuma.org/