[clue-talk] Re: Ubuntu - Not your Grandma's distro

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 07:34:07 MST 2005

On 11/16/05, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 8:20 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On 11/15/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > And even bigger news: not one blessed reference to GNU/Linux in the
> > entire article !!! <grin>
>
> What do you mean?

Generally speaking, the Debian crowd gets real mad when you call the
"operating system" by the name "Linux" because "Linux" is "just" the
kernel.  Calling the whole "operating system" "Linux" gives more
credit to Linus and his folks and not enough credit to Stallman and
the GNU folks.  The GNU folks wrote most (all?) of the core utilities
that people think of when they think "Linux" and they had their own
kernel that worked OK but didn't work great and wasn't ported to x86.

I'm sure I messed up some part of that, which is kind of funny and
kind of purposeful because now some Debian zealot can correct me and
show you exactly the kind of behavior that Collins was referring to.

Or were you being sarcastic... ;)

Greg