[clue-talk] Re: Ubuntu - Not your Grandma's distro

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Wed Nov 16 08:06:46 MST 2005

Greg Knaddison wrote:

>>>And even bigger news: not one blessed reference to GNU/Linux in the
>>>entire article !!! <grin>
>>
>>What do you mean?
>
> Generally speaking, the Debian crowd gets real mad when you call the
> "operating system" by the name "Linux"

Hmph. I don't think that's true of most Debian *users* ... I used Debian
for about 3 years and never got upset about anyone not saying
"GNU/Linux". But of course, I'm a *former* Debian user, so I may be
atypical. I've also never told anyone, "It's the X Window *System* <sniff>!"

> I'm sure I messed up some part of that, which is kind of funny and
> kind of purposeful because now some Debian zealot can correct me and
> show you exactly the kind of behavior that Collins was referring to.

My personal view is that RMS has always had a lot of valid points ... he
(and his disciples) just doesn't seem to comprehend that some people
understand his ideas and disagree with them ... or don't care ... or
simply don't have the luxury of taking such strident positions, because
we're not in academia.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA