[clue-talk] Re: Ubuntu - Not your Grandma's distro

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:59:06 MST 2005

On 11/16/05, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 8:20 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On 11/15/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > And even bigger news: not one blessed reference to GNU/Linux in the
> > entire article !!! <grin>
>
> What do you mean?

Others have answered more eloquently than I! All you have to do is
peruse a few documents on the Debian website. If the word Linux
appears 10 times on a page, it's GNU/Linux for all occurrences. I once
used this example on another group. The IBM MVS operating system
(where I spent most of my working days) has a similar structure.
There's an equivalent of the kernel and another component called Data
Facility Product without which the other code is useless and cannot
run. Everyone calls the OS MVS and not DFP/MVS.

Just plain ole Linux is fine for me, and I praise Ubuntu for dropping
the RMSism/Debianism from their documents.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write