[clue-talk] Inaugural Denver JBUG (JBoss Users Group) Meeting - DTC on 10/20/2005 @ 5:30 PM

Tom Marrs thomasamarrs at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 18:02:05 MDT 2005

What: Inaugural Denver JBUG (JBoss Users Group) Meeting

When:   Thursday, 10/20/2005

Where: TEKSystems DTC Office

6300 S Syracuse Way
Suite 200
Englewood, CO 80111
303-694-7160 tel

Map:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=6300+S+Syracuse+Way%2C+Suite+200&csz=
Englewood%2C+CO+80111&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Agenda:

(All times approximate)

5:30-6 p.m.      Food and Networking

6-7:00 p.m.      Basic Concepts

7-7:15 p.m.      Break and Announcements

7:15-8:15 p.m. Main Meeting

8:15-8:30 p.m. Q & A

8:30-?              More Networking

Main Meeting

--------------------

Topic: J2EE Web Services at Work:

Abstract:

Do you want to know how to develop and deploy J2EE-compliant Web Services?

Have you been confused by the tangled web of new deployment descriptors?

Have you tried to deploy J2EE Web Services and thrown up your hands in
frustration at

the lack of tool support? If so, then this talk is for you.

The new J2EE 1.4 Web Services standard was designed for interoperability,
but the tools (such as XDoclet)

are broken. We'll show how to work around the problems and deploy an EJB as
a Web Service.

This presentation covers:

* The business reasons for developing Web Services

* J2EE Web Service Architecture

* J2EE 1.4 and Web Services

* Implementing and Deploying a Web Service

* Developing a Web Service Client

We use Ant, XDoclet, JWSDP (Java Web Services Developer Pack), and Axis to
deploy and consume

a J2EE Web Service. Along the way, we'll show how the new Web Services
descriptors integrate with

standard J2EE application deployment. Although we use JBoss as the reference
implementation,

the core techniques shown here are applicable to any J2EE 1.4 application
server.

Speaker:

Tom Marrs, a 20 year veteran in the software industry, is the Principal and
Senior Software Architect at Vertical Slice,

a consulting firm that designs and implements mission-critical business
applications using the latest J2EE and

Open Source technologies, along with providing architecture evaluation and
developer training and mentoring services.

Tom is the lead author of JBoss At Work: A Practical Guide (O'Reilly, 2005),
has been published in java.net <http://www.java.net/> , Java

Developers' Journal, and authored and co-authored several technical training
courses. Tom teaches Java/J2EE/JBoss training

classes, speaks regularly at software conferences such as No Fluff Just
Stuff ( <http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com/> http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com),
is a blogger

on java.net and ONJava, and reviews best-selling technical books for major
publishers.

An active participant in the local technical community, Tom is the President
of the Denver JBoss User Group and has

served as President of the Denver Java Users Group (
<http://www.denverjug.org/> http://www.denverjug.org).

Basic Concepts

-----------------------

Topic: Intro to JBoss

Abstract:

Have you ever downloaded JBoss and then wondered what to do next?

Would you like to know more about the JBoss Directory structure?

Would you like a tour of JBoss 4.x? If so, this talk is for you.

JBoss 4.x is the flagship release of JBoss AS (Application Server) because
it is J2EE 1.4 certified and fully supports

the newest J2EE standards such as J2EE Web Services. This presentation
covers:

* Installing JBoss

* JBoss Directory Structure

* Server Configurations

* Temporary Directories and Hot Deployment

* Deploying a simple application

Speaker: Tom Marrs