[clue-talk] Color Laser Printer

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Sep 19 13:38:51 MDT 2005

Todd,

> I have a couple questions that I was hoping you folks could help me
> out with.  I am in the market for a color laser printer and can spend
> up to $800.  The only requirement that I have is that I can can connect
> it to my LAN, and that I can print to it from Linux and OS X.

I've never used a color laser with Linux, but my HP OfficeJet 2275Cxi
works fine with RHEL-WS3 using the hpoj device driver software.

> Specific question:  The HP printers use Jetdirect for network
> connectivity.  Can anyone tell me how well Linux plays with Jetdirect?
> I don't know anything about it.

As long as you know the IP address of the JetDirect you should
be able to print to it using lpd from Linux.  I've done this many
times with many JetDirect cards/boxes.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/