[clue-talk] Looking for printer solution

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Apr 25 15:37:32 MDT 2006

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

>I recently did some pricing on cartridges for the "free" printer I got from
>Dell, and they are just outrageously priced. And big surprise, they are
>proprietary. This is a Dell 720C, and the cartridges are really dinky and
>about $30 or so each.
>
>I do have an old HP 720C, but the cartridges aren't all that cheap for it,
>either, although they aren't proprietary and they do last longer. It's also
>a winprinter, so setting it up for Linux used to be a real PITA, although
>I'm sure it's better now.
>

>Call me crazy, but dumping $90 or so for a few months of moderate (mostly
>black, but some color) printing just seems wrong...I mean we are talking a
>few term papers being printed, or receipts, or directions here and there.
>
>Can anyone suggest either:
>
>A) an inkjet that doesn't have this stupid razor model of income for
>hardware companies?
>or
>B) Thoughts on refill systems/ refurbished cartridges etc.? I know I get
>spam that tries to reach me about this, but I'm looking for legit
>businesses, not spam centers, to give my business to.

Hmmm, with printer prices, I usually just buy a new printer or get a
free one when I want to replace a cartridge or toner.  Actually, I'm
pretty exclusively laser now, but for example, a new laser printer on
sale or with rebates will cost maybe $50 but new toner costs around
$70... so doing the math, I usually just get a new printer.