[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 21:00:26 MDT 2006

On 8/6/06, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> > hub=downtwon (or somewhere near downtown)
> > spokes=I25, Santa Fe, 6th Ave, etc.
> > wheel = 225, 470
>
> That's pretty much all there are.  Denver's road system sucks just as
> bad as its mass transit.

I can't think of any place where the road system doesn't suck. Most
places are just like Denver. 25 years ago when the metro area was half
this size no one planned for most of California moving to Denver.

> CDOT is in a court battle with Douglas County right now over widening
> C-470.  CDOT claims there is no money to do it the "normal" way but
> they can cost-justify HOV lanes that allow tolls like the idiotic
> system that only runs one-way on I-25 north of Downtown.  (All that
> system does is keep busses on time... thirty cars a day and two lanes
> wide wasted.  If they were willing to open it up to the regular
> traffic whenever I-25 was jammed, that'd be one thing, but as it
> stands it is just a giant waste of money and real-estate better used
> for standard highway lanes.

Amen, brother.

> Of course, much of this isn't CDOT's fault -- when was the last time
> you personally voted for higher taxes for roads?

In most cases you're not given the opportunity. Your taxes usually go
for creampuff projects like light rail that benefit 1% (and that's a
high estimate) of the populace.

--
Collins Richey