[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Aug 7 10:55:39 MDT 2006

On 08-07 10:53, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Then there's peak oil to think about. The pessimists say it's already
> happened, and the optimists put it forty or fifty years in the future.
> Either way, anything energy-efficient is going to become more important
> to all of us.

Yup. After seeing _End of Suburbia_, I definitely had my eyes opened. It may
be one of the most extreme outlooks, but it might be actually correct. I
think most Americans have their head firmly planted in the sand (or
elsewhere) on this one, and having the most pessimistic view may be the most
adult approach, especially if it causes Americans to start demanding
alternatives.

Interestingly, WSJ had a chart in which they gave average MPG - it's worse
now than it was in the 80's, despite gains in technology to boost efficiency
in MPG - Americans opted for larger and larger vehicles (mostly trucks and
SUVs). Of course, we may be turning a corner in that regard, since I've seen
WSJ already use the phrase "post-SUV, post-minivan era".

I heard the author of _The Long Emergency_ on a podcast, and already had it
on my reading list, but bumped it up a bit in the priority and will start
reading it as soon as the hold is ready at the lib.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
I have no idea what the mind of a lowlife scoundrel is like; but I know what
the mind of an honest man is like. It is terrifying.
-Abel Hermant