[clue-talk] Updating the ol Website

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Tue Aug 15 08:15:54 MDT 2006

When I started the site about 5 years ago, I figured "Database backend, a
little PHP to generate the pages, and enough HTML to render properly."

I didn't know anything about making web pages beyond the theory. The goal
for the site was to squeeze it into one of those 10$ a month cheap web
hosting accounts. I did, and it worked out pretty well.

So now it's grown, I'm using a larger web account, added some more
features and improved the look. I've asked my users what they think needs
improvement, and it's pretty much unanimous. They want the site
updated/redesigned.

I think it's the black background they hate the most.

I'm proud at how quick and responsive my site is (Due to it's minimalist
origins), so I'm a little wary of jumping in and using AJAX, RUBY, etc. I
don't even know how to program with OO.

At this point I see converting everything from plain HTML to CSS. I think
my users will enjoy switching styles.

I was wondering if any of you have gone through something like this? Any
suggestions or advice?

Even though I've taken a bunch of programming classes in college, I'm more
of a hacker than a programmer. Figure out what I need to do, then look it
up and implement it. I’m currently leafing through CSS for dummies.