[clue-talk] - - - anybody know anything about these guys . . . ?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 18:44:03 MDT 2006

On 8/26/06, erik at ezolan.com <erik at ezolan.com> wrote:

> >> All I can say is ... wow.
> >>
> >> That sound you hear is a thousand lawyers
> >> filing a thousand briefs on
> >> every possible potential legal remedy.
> >
> > **  would anyone care to say a little,
> >     preferably in plain english, about
> >     what this might mean?
> >
> >     also about the referenced company?
> >
> >     also about  ubuntu  and the latest
> >     release ( 6.06.x ) thereof?
>
> He means that they're using Apple's Mini case design. I've heard it's a
> reference design though, and anyone can use it.
>
> I don't know anything about the company or the latest version of Ubuntu.

As regards [Ku|Xu|U]buntu 6.06, it's an especially fine distro, in
particular for less experienced users. I've been running it since the
early development days. I've installed it on a couple of different
desktop machines and on a laptop with few problems of any
significance.

You should know that 6.06 is LTS. That means it will be maintained
(security fixes and bug fixes) for several years, but new
functionality will not be added. So, if today's stable versions of KDE
and/orGnome and/or XFCE suit you, you are all set for several years.

OTOH, the next release of the Ubuntu line will be available later this
year. I presume that in turn will be an LTS release.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, so in addition to other benefits, Ubuntu is
an excellent introduction to the Debian Way of doing things. Debian
itself is a fine distro, but it's not as easy for Newbies to deal with
as Ubuntu. Also, the Ubuntu forums and email lists are a very friendly
environment for getting answers to nagging little problems. Debian (as
yet) has no equivalent, atleast as far as forums are concerned.

On any computer where you want only Ubuntu installed, you simply boot
the LiveCD, click on the install icon, answer half a dozen simple
questions, and wait 15-30 minutes to have a complete system with KDE
or Gnome or Xfce as the desktop manager. There's a little more work to
do if you want complete multimedia functionality (such functions
cannot legally be redistributed). You can even install it on a
computer where Windows has allocated the entire hard drive, and the
installer will allow you to pare down the size of the Windows
partition to make space for Linux, and thus you will have a Dual Boot
computer that allows you to run either Linux or Windows.

There are plenty of good Linux distros, but Ubuntu is certainly one of the best.

--
Collins Richey