[clue-talk] WinXP Dual Boot?

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Sat Jan 7 13:38:30 MST 2006

Richard C. Savage wrote:
> I've previously installed various flavors of Linux (Fedora 2, RH 8, 9,
> 6) on older machines that had VFAT hard drives.
>
> However,  my newer machines came with WinXP installed, with an 80GB NTFS
> file system. The (old) fips utility I had for partitioning a hard drive
> doesn't work on NTFS. Descriptions on the web say Mandrake Linux 9.1 and
> later come with an included utility (called NTFS), as part of the
> installation routine, that allows non-destructive partitioning of a NTFS
> WinXP HDD.
>
> Anbody out there had experience with using Mandrake (or anything else)
> to partition a WinXP NTFS drive?
> Any experience with running Mandrake? If I use Mandrake to partition, it
> seems reasonable to install it - unless it's grossly inferior to, say,
> Fedora 2. I presume they offer a dual-boot configuration, with either
> LILO or GRUB - either is acceptable to me.
>
> I'm just running desktop personal configurations, not an enterprise
> outfit, but I'm glad to learn new stuff. Your suggestions gratefully
> accepted. Thanx.

Yeah, most of the people I know use Knoppix and qtparted (which calls
ntfsresize, I think).

However, if you are doing this more often than not, it can be a good
idea to pick up a copy of Partition Magic.  It's $80, but it can resize
anything safely.  (Well, unless you are one of the dreaded "error 117"
people, but I think that occurs when you *make* the ext3 partitions in
PM.  Just don't do that.)

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/