[clue-talk] WinXP Dual Boot?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 14:10:10 MST 2006

On 1/7/06, Matt Thompson <thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu> wrote:
> Richard C. Savage wrote:
> > I've previously installed various flavors of Linux (Fedora 2, RH 8, 9,
> > 6) on older machines that had VFAT hard drives.
> >
> > However,  my newer machines came with WinXP installed, with an 80GB NTFS

Probably a good Idea to Google and read up on ntfsresize. The last
time I bought machines with XP installed and wanted to cut down the
NTFS partitions, I found that typical XP installations put unmovable
files right in the middle of the NTFS extent, so you can only cut the
extent in half. Maybe there are more intelligent solutions now? I've
never tried Partition Magic.

Also keep in mind that you need to thoroughly windows defrag and check
any NTFS that you intend to shrink with ntfsresize (or any of its
friends).

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write