[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 11:46:06 MST 2006

On 01-09 10:34, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Take a read:
>
> http://www.mcpmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=539
>
> But they forget the "after the sale" perspective of FOSS: you own it and
>  don't have to call in ONLY MS to make improvements!!
>
> What say all you Linux types?

I'd say this article reads like PR FUD. It's good to consider all your
options, but this article seems pretty lean on actual data and how they came
up with those numbers. And notice who they talked to - the chairman of the
board? I bet you could really snow someone in that position when it comes to
technology.

What I find amusing is that it's really not so much an either-or type of
thing. You can buy MS OS and then put FOSS on it. You could buy all MS and
then still have a FOSS approach: witness how many folks handled last week's
security hole in Windows - they went to 3rd parties to fix it, and some
"authority" was even recommending that people NOT wait for MS' official
patch and instead take steps on their own, since it was such a bad one.

And may I add (although I'm only a user, to be fair, so maybe it's just the
way it's being used where I'm at) that SharePoint is awful compared to other
collaboration type stuff - Wiki, internal NNTP, IRC, etc. Most people end up
putting documents there...uh, isn't that what a file server can do? So this
article singing SharePoint's praises wasn't getting much traction with me.

And notice all the one-star reviews in the comments. :)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Greasemonkey Amazon scripts for Colorado libraries:
http://userscripts.org/people/2388
Don't accept rides from strange men, and remember - all men are strange.
-Robin Morgan