[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Gary T Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 12:41:54 MST 2006

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Take a read:
>
> http://www.mcpmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=539
>
> But they forget the "after the sale" perspective of FOSS: you own it
> and  don't have to call in ONLY MS to make improvements!!
>
> What say all you Linux types?
>
> Kevin

Interesting article...especially where John Hollinger, senior vice
president at Internosis, mentions that his firm does a detailed
financial analysis of costs.  Even assuming the initial implementation
costs are higher for a Linux solution, I wonder if they take into
consideration that technology is a moving target with new releases of
software hitting the streets each week.  I can't believe that MS is
going to provide upgrades for free and on a timely basis.  Did this get
figured into the equation???  This MS technique with their slanted view
of the world would follow Bill G's "pay me now or pay me later, but PAY
ME" philosophy.  Also, I wonder if Internosis factors in "additional
seat costs" when the business that brings in the application begins to
grow and add end-user personnel.  Hmm?

Gary