[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:08:13 MST 2006

On 1/9/06, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> Google, of course, appears (at least as an outsider and
> non-shareholder!) to be an extreme opposite example.  Their upper
> eschelons "get it" so well, we're all baffled at what they're going to
> do next, but they keep figuring it out... and they appear to have a very
>   well laid-out plan they're willing to take as much time as they need,
> to get there.  They started with Linux farms and damn smart people, and
> look what they've done... I wouldn't exactly show up at a shareholder
> meeting at Google with any concerns that the people sitting on the other
> side of the table didn't understand Technology!

Just to be a devil's advocate - most news I've read about the great
Google is that they lead from below.  The guys at the top understand
what's going on, but supposedly let their underlines determine the
real direction for the company.  It's a Drucker-ism and they are
apparently Drucker fanatics (or at least some of them are).

My feeling is that if you've hired the right people, lead from below
works.  And if you've hired the wrong people, then, well, then you're
screwed anyway.

Greg