[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 9 20:37:05 MST 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:

> Just to be a devil's advocate - most news I've read about the great
> Google is that they lead from below.  The guys at the top understand
> what's going on, but supposedly let their underlines determine the
> real direction for the company.  It's a Drucker-ism and they are
> apparently Drucker fanatics (or at least some of them are).

Interesting.  I hadn't done my research.  If that's how they're run,
it's fairly novel for a company their size.  Kudos to 'em for pulling it
off.  I wonder how much chaos there really is inside the company.

> My feeling is that if you've hired the right people, lead from below
> works.  And if you've hired the wrong people, then, well, then you're
> screwed anyway.

Yeah, I suppose -- "Lead from whoever the hell knows what they're
doing..." would be good for most companies...  ;-)

When the high-ups *think* they understand tech (because they read trade
mags and talk to buddies while golfing) and dictate tech from that
viewpoint... that's when the real problems start.  (GRIN)

Again, the shareholders should always demand proof that a particular
technology is the best technology (both cost and culture) for the
company they're invested in.  Not just a talking head CEO's speech.
Demand hard numbers and question them where they don't agree with
reality... or move the money elsewhere...

Nate