[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Jan 12 10:54:34 MST 2006

>>MacOSX86 - faster, cheaper, more portable, a Tux Killer.
>>

>Faster, yeah. Cheaper? Not so far -- if you check the prices on the
>new Mac stuff, they haven't budged -- which is what I predicted Apple
>would do. Until Apple drops the price a bit, they'll remain a marginal
>player, no matter what type of chips are in their machines.

Yep, I agree 100%  The first move to x86 is really to make money on the
supply side by producing cheaper things.  Then after the shift,  the
price will gradually converge on the new market price.

It's interesting how it's always the "second best" in technology that
gains the market share.  USB or Firewire?  Well USB was cheaper and not
as fast.  But it did the job, and being cheaper went further.  So now
USB is on top, and getting faster.