[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jan 12 12:24:01 MST 2006

Kevin Cullis wrote:
> The sad part of USB versus Firewire is every USB device connected
> divides the top speed by the number of devices. 480 MB by 2 devices is
> 240 MB. Firewire does not. While you may not need Firewire, most of the
> professional video and graphic pros require it!!
>
> Kevin

However some Firewire pro audio standards require that nothing else be
plugged into the Firewire bus with the audio device.  (Latency issues.)

I assume Video is similar.

I have a nifty "mixer board in a box" type of thing that has four inputs
and ten outputs, all done via Firewire... from M-Audio.  It's wicked
cool, and was CHEAP because there's very little to it, mechanically...
at least compared to a traditional mixer board.

I pump a pro-quality XLR mic in through an input and it's digitized and
sent on over Firewire into the machines... wicked neat stuff out there
for this these days.

(Was thinking about doing some podcasting, but I'm too busy and don't
have a good topic... another techie rant is definitely not something the
podcast world needs at this point.  LOL!)

I've been meaning to see if it'd work under Linux... haven't had a
chance yet.

Nate