[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Thu Jan 12 10:17:12 MST 2006

See comments below.

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 1/11/06, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And just to add a little gas to the flame, especially now with their
> intel offerings it won't be "MS beating Linux" it's going to be "Apple
> beats both MS and Linux" on the Desktop.

Just to add more gas, this is what I'm seeing, about 20-30% of the
people are switchers, especially from the "halo" affect of using the
iPod and seeing how the ease of use and quality of construction (barring
the iPod scratches issues) and wanting to take another look at Mac from
a few years ago.

> MacOSXPPC - more powerful than Windows, doesn't require Linux savvy,
> takes a home equity loan to buy.

Not quite, what you get for a Windoze computer is only hardware and very
little good software, i.e. Windoze "requires more hardware specs"
because of it's poor use of the computer resources (think quality, not
quantity and you'll see my point). When people by PCs for Windows they
invariably forget to add into the purchase price of virus and spyware
software and other pieces of software that come built into Macs "freely"
or are not needed. (And PC purchasers ONLY see price, while Mac people
see VALUE). With every PC you don't get iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes (you can
download it for free), and Garageband that if you purchase similar
software for the PC the cost of the PC would be more than a Mac. In
addition, because of FreeBSD under each Mac you get UNIX and "built in
PDF" (much like Linux) which I showed one cutomer and he tore up a Dell
contract in front of my face becasue I was able to show each and every
point how Mac took care of him better.

> MacOSX86 - faster, cheaper, more portable, a Tux Killer.

I don't think it will be a Tux killer, but they sure are kissing
cousins. Will Mac take some Linux market and mind share? Yes, because
that's what I'm seeing. Why? Because of the great GUI, definitely ease
of use and administer, AND the great UNIX power underneath. As one .NET
programmer told me after he bought a Mac was that following Apple's
programmers guidelines it made him a better .NET developer. Quality!!!

Most people are not DIYers like Linux people on this list, all they want
  to do is turn the computer on and like a car, and just drive.
Although, some are so busy that they even want the computer to do things
for them without their input. Not!

My $0.02.

Kevin