[clue-talk] The reason MS is winning against Linux?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 08:19:07 MST 2006

On 01-12 04:36, Greg Knaddison wrote:
<snip>
> And just to add a little gas to the flame, especially now with their
> intel offerings it won't be "MS beating Linux" it's going to be "Apple
> beats both MS and Linux" on the Desktop.
>
> MacOSXPPC - more powerful than Windows, doesn't require Linux savvy,
> takes a home equity loan to buy.
>
> MacOSX86 - faster, cheaper, more portable, a Tux Killer.

I'd say even before the intel chip, OSX was making inroads, at least among
the techies. It seems every time I go to DJUG, they are using an Apple
laptop to make presentations. And when I went to the No Fluff, Just Stuff
symposium in Broomfield (Dec 2005), almost all the presenters seemed to be
using apple.  One exception I can think of was Bruce Tate, using an HP
running Windoze.

I don't think I saw any using Linux. Since many presenters at both DJUG and
NFJS seem to be commonly working for body shops, that might skew their
decision for their OS. Assuming they use the same laptop for the
presentations as they use when on site, they might choose to not use Linux
since they can't be mucking around compiling and configuring things when on
the clock...I still have to say I'm a bit surprised since there seems to be
a sizable overlap between the Java and Linux communities.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
...you could spend *all day* customizing the title bar. Believe me. I speak
from experience.
-Matt Welsh