[clue-talk] Re: Linux auto-install DB and other stuff

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Tue Jan 24 15:41:24 MST 2006

Matt Gushee wrote:
> Greg Knaddison wrote:

>> If you want to do programming/compiling and cannot figure out the
>> related requirements in Cygwin's net-installer, you have more problems
>> than whatever OS you are on.
>
> "Cannot figure out" is rather simplistic, don't you think? My point
> about Cygwin
 > ... [bla bla bla] ...

Or maybe a better way to put it is: Cygwin is a means to an end, namely
being able to use GNU software on Windows. GNU software is itself a
means to various ends (unless you're Richard M. Stallman ;-). One of
those, of course, is being able to develop portable C programs. Well,
portable C programs are a means to an end, too. Sometimes there are much
easier ways to accomplish those ends.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/