[clue-talk] Assessing technical skills?

David Maddox softwareanddesign at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 00:21:11 MDT 2006

I've had the opposite problem - on my last contact, I received an email
describing the position: QA Lead, certain skills, etc. and it wound up being
a fairly low level job that the guy's college-aged daughter (non-CS) did in
the summer. The guy just didn't want to make the effort to spin off to a
lead, he wanted someone to amplify his own efforts as a solo flyer. The
management had told him, apparently, that he needed a QA lead. In arranging
to move on, I said that it was not what I expected, they said my
expectations were incorrect, I referred to the email, there was an awkward
moment. Not fun, but I did leave gracefully and complete the tasks required.

I like the idea of showing typical work, both for evaluating and
self-selecting. If you wanted a unix admin, I might apply, but if you showed
some heavy scripting, I might demur, as that's not my strength. I'm more of
the config/performance/drivers type.

I'm not sure that would have solved my situation, though, any comments on
how to find hidden problems would be appreciated! Actually, one thing I have
noticed, the more informal the hire, the more risky it is, even if it does
seem like a natural fit. It's worth the effort, even for a contractor.

Good topic!

Dave