[clue-talk] Assessing technical skills?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Jul 19 06:03:37 MDT 2006

  When I interview my candidates I usually bring in 2-3 of my engineers.
We give them the standard "interview" where we ask them 'what is dns,
what does it do, etc' as you would expect.  Then we run through 2-5
scenarios of real events we have been through.  We ask them to do a full
troubleshooting as best they can and give them the results of each step
to see how well they track the problems, what directions they take and
if they are capable of dynamic thinking.

  One last thing I like to do is ask a "personality question" which is
designed not to give me any kind of answer, but how do they deal with
the question.  Some of my team have asked "if you were a tree, what kind
would you be and why,"  "If this were an interview for the justice league
of america what would your super powers be?" and believe it or not, one
of the best, "If you were to cover yourself in cheese what kind would
you use and why"?  Again, you don't really care about the answer as much
as how do they handle having to answer something so wierd right out of
left field.  Personally I ask "Why shouldn't I hire you for this
position?".  If they don't have an answer then they don't know their own
capabilities or limitations very well.  If they answer too fast or
without restraing on their answer (uh, at my last job I filled a
computer with oatmeal for fun) then you know that person may be more
overhead than they're worth.

Robert

Thus spake Jeff Cann (jccann at gmail.com):