[clue-talk] Assessing technical skills?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Sat Jul 22 10:15:54 MDT 2006

Nate,

On Jul 22, 2006, at 2:17 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:

> But, I've found that it's a VERY poor indicator of whether or not
> they're ultimately successful at the job.  However, I've seen
> NUMEROUS times where if the question were asked instead, "Does he/
> she seem to understand what we're trying to do and care about it?"
> -- looking back... all of the people I would have answered "Yes" to
> were around a long time, and were highly successful at their jobs.
> Their skill set coming in only determined how long it would take
> for them to become successful.

This is the best answer to your whole long cogent write up. Walt
Disney stated "When we opened Disneyland, a lot of people got the
impressions that it was a get-rich-quick thing, but they didn't
realize that behind Disneyland was this great organization that I
built here at the Studio, and they all got into it and we were doing
it because we loved to do it."

Nate, your answer is just like Walt's. Many a Enron, Tyco, etc sold
people false Visions of what they wanted to do, they wanted it all
for themselves. When you read "Good to Great" or "Built to Last" you
find  the same discussion of leadership. Only those that believe
"Let's build something TOGETHER" do they build something of lasting
value. That's what most people want to do, they want to make a
difference, to apply their many God given talents to something of
purpose.

Nate, you and I will get along just fine ;-)

Kevin