[clue-talk] Assessing technical skills?

rex evans rexfordevans at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 12:02:51 MDT 2006

Nate,

Agree, with most of your points and have
seen the same character types that you have.
Similar experiences also. Corporations are
similar to each other in many respects, but
each does something things well and does
other things poorly. Even within a large
firm, many areas have their own sub-culture.

I depart from your (late night) view:

"I got out of management in my early 20's and
won't be going back unless I own the company --
babysitting (even well-paid babysitting) holds
little interest for me, personally."

I see the "babysitting" as coaching, and it is
an essential part of the job. On reflection,
and during daylight, you may come to agree.
If it truly degenerates to babysitting, then
there is systemic problem; look for causeS.
BTW, I am not saying that coaching always works.

On the open-source comparison, are you saying
that using OS requires a discipline, and that
corporations could use a similar discipline in
a wider context?
Though I have used OS or freeware etc.,
I have only read a few articles on OS.

rex evans