[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at bluecherry.net
Sun Jul 30 20:17:40 MDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:15:05PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> >Hi, my name is Joseph, and I'm a UNIXaholic.
>
> Well, you need a higher power to help with that, don't you?

So far he hasn't really tried too hard to assist with that particular
problem.  Guess there are others of higher priority.

> >Let's see, I've been using Linux since about 1997, was a Debian developer
> >until I escaped sometime in 2002 (much to the restoration of my sanity),
> >followed by a brief stint using a heavily modified LFS and then an almost
> >unrecognizable Gentoo (aside from emerge).
>
> Heh-heh. Then you might enjoy the current thread on CLUE-Tech about
> Debian vs. Gentoo vs. *. Amazingly, it has so far been a civil
> discussion. But then, CLUE has always been a courteous group. Could it
> be that we're all adults here?

I'm not so sure I could stay 100% civil in that discussion.  The internal
structure of Debian really soured me on the project over time.  That and
the fact that neither or their two stable releases in the past five years
has worked on my hardware the day it was the images went up on the server.

Some good times were had in the project, and I still know a few people
from Debian but most of the people I know have either left the project or
maintained a very low profile so as not to be seen as disagreeing with
central people too often--something I've never been good at.  ;)

> >...you can tell I'm still a nerd by the fact that I totally got distracted
> >and never mentioned that I studying to be a teacher.  The world doesn't
> >need another moderately skilled programmer, but it sure is desperate for
> >good teachers.  The pay is generally pathetic, and the hours are only a
> >little shorter than those of a programmer, but the work is more important.
>
> I hear ya. Maybe I should have done the same--except I'm not eligible
> for federal financial aid (long story). So I'm kinda lost at sea.

Not even loans?  Wow.  If your interest is in teaching, and you could get
the loans, they can be paid back after two years working in a place that
needs teachers badly through one federal program.  Another program is
Teach For America, which gives you a crash course and then throws you in
an inner-city classroom with a stipend to cover your living expenses.  In
two years you have two years experience as a teacher, a license, and quite
probably a permanent job if you're willing to keep it.

I don't know if either program is available if you've managed to run afoul
of question #35 at some point in your life, but you didn't indicate that
such was your problem.  A discussion on my opinion of the question, its
effectiveness at its goal, and alternative means to the same goal is
likely to be deemed way off topic.

> Anyway, welcome.

Thanks!

> : Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :

This looks, by the way, very similar to modern takes on the old NeXT
column browser.  I'm a big fan of that particular type of interface--it
navigates easily by keyboard (in the case of Apple's Finder, once you have
the right thing focused) and gives you a very nice interface to your
filesystem.

I am hoping that at some point you decide that you really like that
interface and take Bantam that direction--it wouldn't be hard to do, and
I'm pretty sure the result would quickly become my file manager of choice.
Icon views.  Pffft.