[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sun Jul 30 20:36:52 MDT 2006

T. Joseph Carter wrote:

>> I hear ya. Maybe I should have done the same--except I'm not eligible
>> for federal financial aid (long story). So I'm kinda lost at sea.
>
> Not even loans?

That's right. Due to a choice I made some years back, I am ineligible
for federal employment or federal student aid. I might or might not make
the same choice today, but it's too late anyway. I'd have to know you
fairly well to explain it any further.

> needs teachers badly through one federal program.  Another program is
> Teach For America, which gives you a crash course and then throws you in
> an inner-city classroom with a stipend to cover your living expenses.  In
> two years you have two years experience as a teacher, a license, and quite
> probably a permanent job if you're willing to keep it.

Yeah, I've heard of that. If I didn't have to be a husband and a dad, I
might even do it. And I'm not totally sure I want to be a teacher--but
of the things I've done in the past, it was better than most (no, I
don't have any credentials--I "just" taught English in Japan for 7 years).

> I don't know if either program is available if you've managed to run afoul
> of question #35 at some point in your life,

? is that an actual question somewhere, or just a metaphor for something?

> This looks, by the way, very similar to modern takes on the old NeXT
> column browser.  I'm a big fan of that particular type of interface--it
> navigates easily by keyboard (in the case of Apple's Finder, once you have
> the right thing focused) and gives you a very nice interface to your
> filesystem.
>
> I am hoping that at some point you decide that you really like that
> interface and take Bantam that direction--it wouldn't be hard to do, and
> I'm pretty sure the result would quickly become my file manager of choice.

Well, I'm always interested in good UI ideas. Where can I learn more
about "that type of interface?"

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :