[clue-talk] Hello CLUE

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 20:01:51 MDT 2006

On 7/31/06, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <xonker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:39:04 -0600
> Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ubuntu needs to care about something other than
> > > GNOME, with KDE and XFCE and school people working on their own
> > > little projects on the side.
>
> KDE/Kubuntu and Xfce/Xubuntu are both "official" Ubuntu releases these
> days -- IIRC, Xubuntu was added as an "official" project with 6.06LTS,
> and Kubuntu the release before that. I think a lot of people forget
> that the original idea behind Ubuntu was to create a desktop distro
> that rocks, and focus on ONE desktop to avoid the distraction of trying
> to support every desktop under the sun. Everyone has an opinion of
> which desktop is the best, but in the end, they had to start with one.
>
> As Ubuntu has grown in popularity, it's made sense to expand the number
> of desktop environments to support, but a large number of Ubuntu devs
> still use GNOME as their desktop of choice. IIRC, the number of paid
> devs specifically for KDE/GNOME are equal.

I agree with much of that, Joe, and there may be equal numbers of
GNOME/KDE developers, but ... the project is essentially GNOME
centric. There isn't even a ratio of 1/10 KDE users on the forums and
lists, and I sincerely doubt that KDE developers pull much weight in
project decisions.

> I'm not sure what you've found lacking in KDE on Ubuntu, but I haven't
> seen any problem with it. I've been very pleased, particularly since
> the Kubuntu team usually has packages for new KDE releases up the day
> of the release or day after.

In spite of the GNOME center of weight, the KDE offering is top notch
and well maintained.

> I've spent very little time with Xubuntu -- I don't know if there are
> any quality problems per se, but they've configured it to look like,
> well, GNOME, in Xubuntu, which weirds me out a bit.

As a long time XFCE user, I can only say that the GNOME-lite rendition
of XFCE in Xubuntu just plain sucks.

--
Collins Richey