[clue-talk] Net neutrality

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Mon May 8 20:27:05 MDT 2006

Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:

> Rob Malda (cmdrtaco on /.) proposed a related scheme for email a while
> ago and when he presented it, the idea made a lot of sense to me.

As far as e-mail goes, it might be a good idea. But I'm not clear on the
connection, if any, between this and what I'm talking about--see below.

> http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/c0207/51c07/51c07.asp&guid=

Hmph. Gotta subscribe to read past the first few paragraphs.

Anyway, what worries those who are worried is that content providers
could be required to pay fees for 'fast-track' delivery of their
content--mainly referring, I think, to Web content--to end users. And it
should be fairly obvious that if some providers are fast-tracked, then
others will be slow-tracked, at least in relative terms, and probably
also in an absolute sense.

Whether or not this would result in deliberate political censorship, it
is self-evident that such fees would favor those with the most ability
to pay.

Now I suppose a good libertarian would make some argument to the effect
that this doesn't really hurt anyone, because we all still have the
freedom to seek out alternative information (hope I'm not setting up a
straw man here--I don't mean to). To which I would say something to the
effect that society is greater than the sum of its parts, and the fact
that all your lazy neighbors are filling their heads with
corporate-produced infotainment affects the quality of life for all of us.

I'll have a bit more to say about that in my reply to Jed, if I don't
run out of time.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/