[clue-talk] Blog Hosting?

Gary T Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 07:39:09 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> Well, I gotta move blog within a month. Given the huge number of hosting
> companies out there, I thought I'd see if anyone has any recommendations,
> or companies to stay away from.
>
> So far, I'm looking at either:
>   http://www.anhosting.com/
>   http://www.bluehost.com/
>   https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/
>
> or maybe the 800 lb gorilla of blog hosts, Hosting Matters.
>
> Nearly free speech is interesting in that it's a pay-as-you- go plan.
>
> Though I guess I could live without it, I'd like ssh access.
>
> Your thoughts appreciated.
>
> jed

Hi Jed,

My experience, FWIW, I've got two websites running on bluehost and am
happy so far.  They have SSH access and if you want to play with Ruby on
Rails, they support that too.  Not free but you get a fair amount of
space for the basic account level.  Another comment, again only from
personal experience, I would NOT use lunarpages.com - even though my
research indicated they were one of the top-rated hosts.  I have another
account with them and its been a small nightmare.  No SSH (Problem for
me) ... Spam mail comes through like a sieve but mail going out from
people with mailbox accounts through my website are blocked by Comcast.
I've sent trouble tickets and nothing...I call on the phone and listen
to music for half-an-hour then get automatically routed to a mailbox
that is full and won't take messages.  Lunarpages is part of Add2net and
they seem to have just gotten too big to maintain their client base.

my two cents,

gary