[clue-talk] Management and Positions of Power: Fewer IT professional and Engineers?

rex evans rexfordevans at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 12:23:55 MST 2006

The recent SNAFU in electronic voting
made me wonder if (and how) ITpros and
Engineers had been involved, Especailly
In Management.

Let me go to the more general question that I
would like to ask.
Is there a Trend toward fewer IT professionals
and Engineers in management?

In the 1960's top corporate managers of
companies like AT&T were degreed engineers.

My view:
This has changed at the top, and trickled down
to the point that now, many first line managers
do not have very much technical training or
experience.

I know this may sound like a woe-is-us invitation,
but on the flip side, are we so PC that we cannot
talk about systemic problems that affect us?

I am going from a few data points here, and
asking if any of you see this trend? Yes/No

rex